Metal recycling is a significant income stream for many industries as virtually all metals can be recycled into high quality new metals. Thus, preventing the need for additional metal mining for raw materials for manufacturing purposes. The UK alone recycles around 10 million tonnes per year.
Metal can be identified as two main types, Ferrous (metals that contain iron) and non-Ferrous (metals that do not contain iron).
Non-ferrous metals are usually more resistant to corrosion and are not magnetic and include;
- Aluminium (i.e. foil for catering)
- Copper (i.e. electrical wire)
- Brass (i.e. statues)
- Lead (i.e. batteries)
- Zinc (i.e. used as a protective coating to Ferrous metals to prevent rust)
- Stainless Steel (i.e. taps)
- Tin (i.e. tin cans – tinplate steel)
They can be recycled into vital secondary raw materials for the smelting of new materials. These metals can be reused many times to make new products, conserving more of our precious natural resources.
Ferrous metals include many forms of steel and the quality of material presented, volume and regularity of supply will influence the revenue streams generated from the scrap metal. Ferrous metals include;
- Cast iron (i.e. scrap metal from vehicles)
- Wrought iron (i.e. railings and fencing)
- Carbon steel (i.e. Commercial tools)
- Engineering steel (i.e. electrical components and machine tools
Agecko UK Ltd is a leading waste management provider. We use innovative and traditional solutions to ensure the waste and recycling option chosen, best fits the customers’ needs. Please contact our experienced waste management team to discuss your requirements.