WEEE Waste (waste electrical and electronic equipment)
Electrical waste is considered the fastest growing waste stream in the EU, with a growth rate of around 5% each year and an estimated 2million tonnes of Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) items being discarded in the UK each year (www.bpf.co.uk). The increase in waste is mainly on account of new technologies and an affluent society with a throwaway lifestyle, equating to an astonishing 75% of the electrical waste ending up in landfill sites.
The recycling of WEEE is encouraged by various organisations and government bodies in the UK, to minimize the monetary and environmental impact of the waste. The EU targets for WEEE recovery are around 75% as the UK strives to move to a zero waste economy.
There are ten broad categories currently outlined within the 2013 WEEE Regulations, but extended regulations will be put in place in 2019 to cover further categories. These include;
- Large household appliances e.g. fridges, cookers, microwaves, washing machines and dishwashers
- Small household appliances e.g. vacuum cleaners, irons, toasters and clocks
- IT and telecommunications equipment – e.g. personal computers, copying equipment, telephones etc.
- Consumer equipment e.g. radios, televisions, hi-fi equipment, camcorders ad musical instruments
- Lighting equipment e.g. straight and compact fluorescent tubes and high intensity discharge lamps
- Electrical and electronic tools e.g. drills, saws and sewing machines, electric lawnmowers
- Toys, leisure and sports equipment e.g. electric trains, games consoles and running machines
- Medical devices e.g. (non-infected) dialysis machines, analysers, medical freezers and cardiology equipment
- Monitoring and control equipment e.g. smoke detectors, thermostats and heating regulators
- Automatic dispensers e.g. hot drinks dispensers and money dispensers
Agecko Waste Management use specialised, fully compliant companies to handle WEEE, offering an efficient, flexible and cost-effective way to manage the logistical aspects of WEEE disposal, considering environmental issues and meeting the strictest WEEE legislation while maintaining the integrity of sensitive data.
Agecko UK Ltd, as a leading waste management provider use innovative and traditional solutions ensuring the waste and recycling option chosen best fits the customers’ needs. Contact our experienced waste management team to discuss your requirements.